Valerie M. Menard
(512) 926-1369 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Latino media expert, community outreach coordinator, and communicator.
Center for Mexican American Cultural Arts, Austin, TX 2003–Present
• As a grant writer, I successfully acquire funds from corporate and government sources for multiple projects.
• As a fundraiser, I successfully raise matching funds for grants acquired for multiple projects.
• As an administrator, I complete the necessary reporting requirements to remain in good status with multiple funding sources
and the necessary paperwork to maintain our 501(c)(3) non-profit status with the IRS.
• As a project director, I establish partnerships with area schools, community groups and leaders, businesses, state, and city entities to enhance the audience participation for multiple projects.
• As a marketing manager, I post events and information on our website and maintain a social media presence on Facebook to help promote our projects as well as those of other Latino arts organizations and artists.
• As an event planner, I coordinate marketing, outreach, purchasing, and accounts payable for each production.
Freelance Writer, Editor, and Hispanic Media and Marketing Consultant 1999-Present
• As the founder of Latino Traffic Report blog, I write auto reviews, report about auto launches, post car recall notices and industry news, write travel and automotive features, film snapshot reviews, post on social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube).
• I administer Facebook pages for Latino Traffic Report, College for Latinos, Latinometro, No Mas Hambre, and the Center for Mexican American Cultural Arts.
• As the associate publisher/editor for Decisive Latino (2010–2015), I compiled, wrote, assigned and edited stories, and pursued advertising.
• As the former editor of Latinos on Wheels, I posted car reviews and features to www.onwheelsinc.com.
• My clients have included Latina Style, Latino Leaders, Latino, Latina, Diverse Issues in Higher Education, and Poder Hispanic.
• I am the published author of several books dealing with Latino culture. (see below)
Hispanic Magazine, Austin, Texas 1994-2000
Senior Editor (1999-2000)
• I assigned and edited stories for several magazine departments.
• I edited special advertising sections.
• I wrote a monthly car column, travel pieces, book reviews, profiles, and feature stories.
Associate Editor (1994-1999)
• I wrote features, featurettes, book and car reviews, and travel pieces.
• I assigned political, cultural, and personality features and featurettes.
• I edited most major features and certain magazine departments.
• I proofread final layouts.
• I coordinated the college intern program with The University of Texas at Austin College of Communications.
• I trained and supervised editorial interns who worked as fact checkers, copy editors, and writers.
EDUCATION: The University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Journalism–Magazine Sequence, Bachelor of Arts–English
PUBLISHED: The Latino Holiday Book, revised (Marlowe & Company, Inc.: New York, 2004)
Latinas in Love (Marlowe & Company, Inc.: New York, 2003)
Celebremos (Random House Español: New York, 2002)
The Latino Holiday Book (Marlowe & Company, Inc.: New York, 2000)
LANGUAGE: Fluent in English and Spanish (spoken) as a second-generation Mexican American.