Senior Leadership - Community Affairs/Social Responsibility/Public Policy
Senior Leader with extensive experience in executive level management of government, non-profit, and private organizations/programs. Proactive Strategist successful in maximizing effectiveness/efficiency; stakeholder and partnership development. Change Catalyst skilled in guiding teams to affect change in complex environments. Compelling Communicator who quickly brings together disparate groups to drive results.
Key skills include:
Program Development & Management – Resource Planning – Consensus Building – Community Outreach – Team Building – Strategic Partnership Development – Budget Development & Management – Legislative Analysis – Regulatory Analysis – Advocacy – Troubleshooting – Research
Spearheaded and managed multi-state network of senior political appointees to affect dramatic change to federal regulations. Regulatory changes finally mandated by President of the United States afforded multi-state compliance and saved over $10 Billion in unnecessary investment. (State of New Jersey)
Saved $500M multi-year contract from cancellation. Reopened additional business opportunities resulting in company growth from single contract to worldwide market and revenues of approximately $10B. (Parsons Corporation)
Turned around structurally and financially challenged bi-state advocacy organization [501(c)(6)] by rebuilding Board, refocusing mission, creating working partnerships with over 20 government entities, academic institutions, associations and businesses. (Nations’Port)
TJHI, Austin, TX (July 2013 to present)
Overhauled and organized re-emerging custom home building company. Secure and manage accounting and legal services; manage bidding, contracting and payment of subcontractors; ensure business and regulatory compliance.
Texas State Representative Gary Elkins, Austin, TX (January 2013 to July 2013)
Executive Assistant/Legislative and Committee Aide
Managed Capitol office providing direct oversight of interns; meeting with organizations and individuals; documenting and responding to all constituent communications; scheduling; program and policy research; constituent issue intervention and resolution.
- Successfully investigated and resolved constituent issues with relevant departments.
- Coordinated and managed District Day at the Capitol.
Chrysalis SP, Lawrenceville, NJ (2008-2012)
Consultant / Project Manager
Launched Certified Woman Business Enterprise (WBE) to provide organization and project development and implementation services.
- Researched, modeled and authored two reports on deployment of novel small-scale waste-to-energy systems under investigation by USDOD resulting in continued funding by USDOD, expansion of business model into new potential markets, consideration of system for international deployment.
- Produced dramatic recovery plan for severely economically-challenged business association by completing 10-year financial, program and membership evaluation and draft strategic plan in 12 weeks while maintaining ongoing operations.
Nations’Port, Newark, NJ (2006-2008)
Transformed bi-state, multi-agency, multi-jurisdictional transportation advocacy forum spanning 20 federal, state and regional government agencies to drive infrastructure improvements critical to ensure competitive and sustainable international goods movement through the most congested multi-state corridor in the US.
- Turned around under-performing 501(c)(6) association by recruiting a diverse Board of Directors of 26, resolving multiple state and federal business registration and taxation issues, and growing the annual operating budget from under $100,000 to $3M.
- Built sustainable business structure, redefined mission statement, goals, and strategic and financial plans to ensure alignment with organizational priorities.
- Successfully advocated for federal investment of $88M in rail improvements – step one in the evolution of the Liberty Corridor.
Watson Consulting Group, LLC, Trenton, NJ (2003-2006)
Launched policy, program and legislative affairs firm focusing on infrastructure, environment and energy issues.
- Aggressively represented clients before members of State Legislature; guided clients’ public contract initiatives; monitored legislation/regulation. Clients included an Engineering News Record Top 20 firm, a breakthrough transportation technology firm, and a woman-owned shipping company.
- Researched and authored benchmark studies documenting maritime industry air quality emissions. Final report facilitated the resolution of financial penalties; enabled port-wide business expansion; established basis for successful appeal to US Maritime Commission allowing subject-specific communication between competitors – a key to blocking future penalties and supporting continued growth.
Parsons Corporation, Pasadena, CA (1999-2003)
Manager, Government Relations & Business Development
Managed government relations and business development projects and programs valued up to $350M where project scope included providing statutory and regulatory guidance as well as designing, building, operating and maintaining service systems for over 38 million Americans.
- Advanced industry new-comer from a single contract to industry leader by spearheading project and program design, marketing and implementation of transportation and air quality solutions integrating technology, air science, software, hardware, engineering, government and public affairs, and coalition and partnership building throughout the United States.
- Recruited/managed lobbyists throughout the US overseeing legislative and regulatory initiatives and requisite responses.
State of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ (1988-1999)
Senior Analyst / Special Assistant
Analyzed and resolved organizational, operational, regulatory and financial challenges facing State agencies and their respective constituents. Built business/government coalitions critical to the development and acceptance of challenging public policy.
- Conducted comprehensive operational analysis of direct customer service delivery elements to establish baseline performance criteria and reorient organization’s public persona from regulatory indifference to superior customer service agency. Established quantifiable and quality performance criteria. Created hands-on in-house performance contracting unit responsible for highly-successful change in employee behavior and public acceptance.
- Authored pubic vs. private cost and operations model used to evaluate bid submitted to service ~6 million motorists and support final award decision. Model became benchmark for largest contract awarded by state.
- Developed and managed fall-back strategy to forestall federal sanctions of $500M annually. Guided work of technical development management, oversaw vendor participation, developed collaborative independent business service network. Persuaded sanctions-trigger agency to stand down.
- Right-sized state agency. Identified out-sourcing opportunities and concurrent political risks, developed and implemented new management tools including performance measurement and benchmarking, developed template for future right-sizing and performance improvement initiatives.
Master of Public Policy, Rutgers University
Bachelor of General Studies, Communications, University of Iowa